Night of the Double Moon - A Real Ghost Story

Free download. Book file PDF easily for everyone and every device. You can download and read online Night of the Double Moon - A Real Ghost Story file PDF Book only if you are registered here. And also you can download or read online all Book PDF file that related with Night of the Double Moon - A Real Ghost Story book. Happy reading Night of the Double Moon - A Real Ghost Story Bookeveryone. Download file Free Book PDF Night of the Double Moon - A Real Ghost Story at Complete PDF Library. This Book have some digital formats such us :paperbook, ebook, kindle, epub, fb2 and another formats. Here is The CompletePDF Book Library. It's free to register here to get Book file PDF Night of the Double Moon - A Real Ghost Story Pocket Guide.

North Bennington was the kind of place where you were considered a newcomer unless your grandfather had been born there. The houses were another matter. But Jackson also saw her houses as having wills of their own, including insistent ideas about how their rooms should be arranged. The good humor of the house in Life Among the Savages and the malevolence of Hill House are phenomena of the same order, despite the difference in tenor.

The big, old, semi-personified manse is a fixture of gothic literature, as Jackson, who boned up on ghost stories in preparation for writing The Haunting of Hill House , well knew. All of those understandings, with the exception of sex—a topic Jackson avoided—apply to Hill House. The incipient madness of Eleanor Vance seemed to affect her creator, though—or perhaps it was the other way around. She died in her sleep, of cardiac arrest, at age Then, even more than now, the domestic realm was viewed as insufficiently serious.

Cain in print today. In a way, Jackson was a kindred spirit to the hard-boiled genre novelists of her time. She also depicted the cruel jokes of fate and chance unfolding in an amoral universe. The prevailing mood of The Haunting of Hill House , the spell of the book that so many readers have found so hard to shake, is one of physical and psychic claustrophobia. Along the way Eleanor weaves the landmarks she sees into a running fantasy life that, besides a kind of smothered rage, we soon recognize to be one of her chief traits.

Fragments of these fantasies appear in the lies Eleanor will later tell Theo about her little apartment in the city, like the pieces of everyday life that turn up in dreams. Eleanor is drifting in and out of a dream state even before she arrives at Hill House, endlessly taking apart and reassembling bits of fantasy and experience to fashion the imagined life she hopes eventually to live. Dreaming, the opening lines of the novel explain, is exactly what keeps someone from going crazy.

Escape is a mirage. This is the real horror of Hill House. The Haunting of Hill House is laced with broken, destructive families, with particular emphasis on volatile relations between women. The two women latch onto each other from the moment they meet with the extravagant, superficial devotion of newly acquainted schoolgirls, swapping tales of adolescent humiliations and planning picnics. Throughout, they get along best when playing tag and lolling around their rooms like sorority girls.

When the friendship goes bad, as such relationships often do, they can turn spectacularly cruel. Montague, a shrewd choice. Romance rarely figures in the fantasy lives she imagines for herself. Jackson seemed to see sex as an uninteresting distraction from earlier, more fundamental questions of identity. I am writing about ambivalence but it is an ambivalence of the spirit, or the mind, not the sex. It is not a he or a she but the demon in the mind, and that demon finds guilts where it can and uses them and runs mad with laughing when it triumphs; it is the demon which is fear.

Then it is fear itself, fear of self that I am writing about. Montague receives through the Ouija-like planchette. It is the recognition that the harder you try to escape the emotional dynamics of your family of origin, the more likely you are to duplicate them. Black dogs were seen frequently. The beds used to be lifted up, and the occupants thereof used to be beaten black and blue, by invisible hands. One particularly ghoulish tale was told. It was said that a monk!

She died unmarried, and was buried in the family vault. They then saw that all the fat around her heart had been scooped away. Apropos of ineradicable blood on a floor, which is a not infrequent item in stories of haunted houses, it is said that a manifestation of this nature forms the haunting in a farmhouse in Co. According to our informants, a light must be kept burning in this house all night; if by any chance it is forgotten, or becomes quenched, in the morning the floor is covered with blood.

The story is evidently much older than the house, but no traditional explanation is given. Two stories of haunted schools have been sent to us, both on very good authority; these establishments lie within the geographical limits of this chapter, but for obvious reasons, we cannot indicate their locality more precisely, though the names of both are known to us.

The first of these was told to our correspondent by the boy Brown, who was in the room, but did not see the ghost. When Brown was about fifteen he was sent to — School. His brother told him not to be frightened at anything he might see or hear, as the boys were sure to play tricks on all new-comers. He was put to sleep in a room with another new arrival, a boy named Smith, from England. In the middle of the night Brown was roused from his sleep by Smith crying out in great alarm, and asking who was in the room. Brown, who was very angry at being waked up, told him not to be a fool—that there was no one there.

The second night Smith roused him again, this time in greater alarm than the first night. He said he saw a man in cap and gown come into the room with a lamp, and then pass right through the wall. Smith got out of his bed, and fell on his knees beside Brown, beseeching him not to go to sleep.

At first Brown thought it was all done to frighten him, but he then saw that Smith was in a state of abject terror. Next morning they spoke of the occurrence, and the report reached the ears of the Head Master, who sent for the two boys. Smith refused to spend another night in the room. Brown said he had seen or heard nothing, and was quite willing to sleep there if another fellow would sleep with him, but he would not care to remain there alone. The Head Master then asked for volunteers from the class of elder boys, but not one of them would sleep in the room.

Some years after, Brown revisited the place, and found that another attempt had been made to occupy the room. A new Head Master who did not know its history, thought it a pity to have the room idle, and put a teacher, also new to the school, in possession. When this teacher came down the first morning, he asked who had come into his room during the night. He stated that a man in cap and gown, having books under his arm and a lamp in his hand, came in, sat down at a table, and began to react.

He knew that he was not one of the masters, and did not recognise him as one of the boys. The room had to be abandoned. The tradition is that many years ago a master was murdered in that room by one of the students. The few boys who ever had the courage to persist in sleeping in the room said if they stayed more than two or three nights that the furniture was moved, and they heard violent noises. The second story was sent to us by the percipient herself, and is therefore a firsthand experience. Considering that she was only a schoolgirl at the time, it must be admitted that she made a most plucky attempt to run the ghost to earth.

I was ordered with two other girls to sleep in a small top room at the back of the house which overlooked a garden which contained ancient apple-trees. After listening for about twenty minutes, my curiosity was aroused, so I got up and stood on the landing. The footsteps still continued, but I could see nothing, although the sounds actually reached the foot of the flight of stairs which led from the corridor to the landing on which I was standing.

Suddenly the footfall ceased, pausing at my end of the corridor, and I then considered it was high time for me to retire, which I accordingly did, carefully closing the door behind me. A cold perspiration broke out all over me; I cannot describe the sensation. What do you want? How or when my ghostly visitant disappeared I never knew; suffice it to say, my story was no nightmare, but an actual fact, of which there was found sufficient proof in the morning; the floor was still saturated with water, the door, which we always carefully closed at night, was wide open, and last, but not least, the occupant of the wet bed had heard all that had happened, but feared to speak, and lay awake till morning.

It was supposed to be the spirit of a man who, long years before, had occupied this apartment the house was then a private residence , and had commited suicide by hanging himself from an old apple tree opposite the window. Needless to say, the story was hushed up, and we were sharply spoken to, and warned not to mention the occurrence again.

She related an exactly similar incident which occurred a few nights previous to her visit. My experience was quite unknown to her. One girl ran away the day after she arrived, declaring that the house was haunted, and that nothing would induce her to sleep another night in it. I understand that my friend the parish priest spoke very forcibly from the altar on the subject of spirits, saying that the only spirits he believed ever did any harm to anyone were —, mentioning a well-known brand of the wine of the country.

Whether this priestly admonition was the cause or not, for some time we heard no more tales of ghostly manifestations. If we happen to be sitting in the dining-room after dinner, sometimes we hear what sounds like the noise of a heavy coach rumbling up to the hall door. We have both heard this noise hundreds of times between eight P. We hear it best on calm nights, and as we are nearly a quarter of a mile from the high road, it is difficult to account for, especially as the noise appears to be quite close to us—I mean not farther away than the hall-door.

I may mention that an Englishman was staying with us a few years ago. Only once do I remember hearing it while sitting in the drawing-room. Some years ago in the middle of the summer, on a scorching hot day, I was out cutting some hay opposite the hall door just by the tennis court. I remember the time distinctly, as my man had gone to his dinner shortly before. The spot on which I was commanded a view of the avenue from the entrance gate for about four hundred yards.

I happened to look up from my occupation—for scything is no easy work—and I saw what I took to be a somewhat high dogcart, in which two people were seated, turning in at the avenue gate. As I had my coat and waistcoat off, and was not in a state to receive visitors, I got behind a newly-made hay-cock and watched the vehicle until it came to a bend in the avenue where there is a clump of trees which obscured it from my view.

As it did not, however, reappear, I concluded that the occupants had either stopped for some reason or had taken by mistake a cart-way leading to the back gate into the garden. Hastily putting on my coat, I went down to the bend in the avenue, but to my surprise there was nothing to be seen. She then told me that about a month before, while I was away from home, my man had one day gone with the trap to the station.

She saw, just as I did, a trap coming up the avenue until it was lost to sight owing to the intervention of the clump of trees. As it did not come on, she went down to the bend, but there was no trap to be seen. When the man came in some half-hour after, my housekeeper asked him if he had come half-way up the avenue and turned back, but he said he had only that minute come straight from the station.

I had sent my man down to the village with a message. He was gone about ten minutes when I heard heavy footsteps enter the yard and come over to the motor-house. As I got no reply, I took up my electric lamp and went to the back of the motor to see who was there, but there was no one to be seen, and although I searched the yard with my lamp, I could discover no one.

About a week later I heard the footsteps again under almost identical conditions, but I searched with the same futile result. He arrived on a Saturday evening, and on the following Monday morning I put him to sweep the avenue. He was at his work when I went out in the motor car at about A. He said he must return home at once. My housekeeper advised him to wait until I returned, but he changed his clothes and packed his box, saying he must catch the next train.

On my return I found him almost in a state of collapse. He left by the next train, and I never heard of him again. K— Castle is a handsome blending of ancient castle and modern dwelling-house, picturesquely situated among trees, while the steep glen mentioned below runs close beside it. It has the reputation of being haunted, but, as usual, it is difficult to get information.

One gentleman, to whom we wrote, stated that he never saw or heard anything worse than a bat. On the other hand, a lady who resided there a good many years ago, gives the following account of her extraordinary experiences therein:. I enclose some account of our experiences in K— Castle. It would be better not to mention names, as the people occupying it have told me they are afraid of their servants hearing anything, and consequently giving notice.

They themselves hear voices often, but, like me, they do not mind. When first we went there we heard people talking, but on looking everywhere we could find no one. Then on some nights we heard fighting in the glen beside the house. We could hear voices raised in anger, and the clash of steel: no person would venture there after dusk. One night I was sitting talking with my governess, I got up, said good-night, and opened the door, which was on the top of the back staircase.

A true ghost story, read if you dare

As I did so, I heard some one a woman come slowly upstairs, walk past us to a window at the end of the landing, and then with a shriek fall heavily. As she passed it was bitterly cold, and I drew back into the room, but did not say anything, as it might frighten the governess. She asked me what was the matter, as I looked so white. Without answering, I pushed her into her room, and then searched the house, but with no results.

Another night I was sleeping with my little girl. I awoke, and saw a girl with long, fair hair standing at the fireplace, one hand at her side, the other on the chimney-piece. Thinking at first it was my little girl, I felt on the pillow to see if she were gone, but she was fast asleep. There was no fire or light of any kind in the room. Some time afterwards a friend was sleeping there, and she told me that she was pushed out of bed the whole night.

Two gentlemen to whom I had mentioned this came over, thinking they would find out the cause. In the morning when they came down they asked for the carriage to take them to the next train, but would not tell what they had heard or seen. Another person who came to visit her sister, who was looking after the house before we went in, slept in this room, and in the morning said she must go back that day. She also would give no information. On walking down the corridor, I have heard a door open, a footstep cross before me, and go into another room, both doors being closed at the time. An old cook I had told me that when she went into the hall in the morning, a gentleman would come down the front stairs, take a plumed hat off the stand, and vanish through the hall door.

This she saw nearly every morning. I have often heard voices in the drawing-room, which decidedly sounded as if an old gentleman and a girl were talking.

100+ Ghost Stories To Read In The Dark

Noises like furniture being moved were frequently heard at night, and strangers staying with us have often asked why the servants turned out the rooms underneath them at such an unusual hour. The front-door bell sometimes rang, and I have gone down, but found no one. The place itself is a grim, grey, bare building. The central portion, in which is the entrance-hall, is a square castle of the usual type; it is built on a rock, and a slight batter from base to summit gives an added appearance of strength and solidity.

Now to the ghosts. At one end is what is said to be an oubliette, now almost filled up. Occasionally in the evenings, people walking along the roads or in the fields see the windows of this chapel lighted up for a few seconds as if many lamps were suddenly brought into it. This is certainly not due to servants; from our experience we can testify that it is the last place on earth that a domestic would enter after dark. It is also said that a treasure is buried somewhere in or around the castle. The legend runs that an ancestor was about to be taken to Dublin on a charge of rebellion, and, fearing he would never return, made the best of the time left to him by burying somewhere a crock full of gold and jewels.

Ghost Stories - Spirits, Graveyards, and Ghostbusters - 4654

Contrary to expectation, he did return; but his long confinement had turned his brain, and he could never remember the spot where he had deposited his treasure years before. Some time ago a lady, a Miss B. In this respect she failed, unfortunately, but gave, nevertheless, a curious example of her power. The sequel to this is curious. Some time after, Miss B. There is as well a miscellaneous assortment of ghosts. There is also a little old man, dressed in the antique garb of a green cut-away coat, knee breeches, and buckled shoes: he is sometimes accompanied by an old lady in similar old-fashioned costume.

Another ghost has a penchant for lying on the bed beside its lawful and earthly occupant; nothing is seen, but a great weight is felt, and a consequent deep impression made on the bedclothes. The lady of the house states that she has a number of letters from friends, in which they relate the supernatural experiences they had while staying at the Castle.

In one of these the writer, a gentleman, was awakened one night by an extraordinary feeling of intense cold at his heart. He then saw in front of him a tall female figure, clothed from head to foot in red, and with its right hand raised menacingly in the air: the light which illuminated the figure was from within. He lit a match, and sprang out of bed, but the room was empty. He went back to bed, and saw nothing more that night, except that several times the same cold feeling gripped his heart, though to the touch the flesh was quite warm.

'American Horror Story' Seasons Ranked, From Campy to Creepy (Photos)

High up round one side of the hall runs a gallery which connects with some of the bedrooms. One evening she was in this gallery leaning on the balustrade, and looking down into the hall. She described it as being human in shape, and about four feet high; the eyes were like two black holes in the face, and the whole figure seemed as if it were made of grey cotton-wool, while it was accompanied by a most appalling stench, such as would come from a decaying human body.

The lady got a shock from which she did not recover for a long time. Another point that is worthy of note is the fact that the hauntings of a poltergeist are generally attached to a certain individual in a certain spot, and thus differ from the operations of an ordinary ghost. The two following incidents related in this chapter are taken from a paper read by Professor Barrett, F. In the case of the second he made personal investigation, and himself saw the whole of the incidents related.

There is therefore very little room to doubt the genuineness of either story. In the year , in a certain house in Court Street, Enniscorthy, there lived a labouring man named Redmond. The house consisted of five rooms—two on the ground-floor, of which one was a shop and the other the kitchen. The two other rooms upstairs were occupied by the Redmonds and their servant respectively. The bedroom in which the boarders slept was large, and contained two beds, one at each end of the room, two men sleeping in one of them; John Randall and George Sinnott were the names of two, but the name of the third lodger is not known—he seems to have left the Redmonds very shortly after the disturbances commenced.

It was on July 4, , that John Randall, who is a carpenter by trade, went to live at Enniscorthy, and took rooms with the Redmonds. It was on the night of Thursday, July 7, that the first incident occurred, when the bedclothes were gently pulled off his bed. Of course he naturally thought it was a joke, and shouted to his companions to stop.

This lasted for a few minutes, getting quicker and quicker. When it got very quick, their bed started to move out across the room. We then struck a match and got the lamp. We searched the room thoroughly, and could find nobody. Nobody had come in the door. We called the man of the house Redmond ; he came into the room, saw the bed, and told us to push it back and get into bed he thought all the time one of us was playing the trick on the other. We told the man of the house we would sit up in the room till daylight.

The footsteps and noises continued through the house until daybreak. The next night the footsteps and noises were continued, but the unfortunate men did not experience any other annoyance. On the following day the men went home, and it is to be hoped they were able to make up for all the sleep they had lost on the two previous nights. They returned on the Sunday, and from that night till they finally left the house the men were disturbed practically every night. On Monday, 11th July the bed was continually running out from the wall with its three occupants.

They kept the lamp alight, and a chair was seen to dance gaily out into the middle of the floor. On the following Thursday we read of the same happenings, with the addition that one of the boarders was lifted out of the bed, though he felt no hand near him. It seems strange that they should have gone through such a bad night exactly a week from the night the poltergeist started its operations. So the account goes on; every night that they slept in the room the hauntings continued, some nights being worse than others. When the bed rose up, it fell back without making any noise.

This bed was so heavy, it took both the woman and the girl to pull it out from the wall without anybody in it, and there were only three castors on it. So Mr. Murphy, from the Guardian office, and another man named Devereux, came and stopped in the room one night. The experiences of Murphy and Devereux on this night are contained in a further statement, signed by Murphy and corroborated by Devereux.

They seem to have gone to work in a business-like manner, as before taking their positions for the night they made a complete investigation of the bedroom and house, so as to eliminate all chance of trickery or fraud. By this time, it should be noted, one of Mrs. The two investigators took up their position against the wall midway between the two beds, so that they had a full view of the room and the occupants of the beds.

No blind obstructed the view from outside, and one could see the outlines of the beds and their occupants clearly. At about My companion remarked that it appeared to be like the noise of a rat eating at timber. This continued for about five minutes, when it stopped suddenly. Randall then spoke. Good God, they are going off me. Devereux immediately struck a match, which he had ready in his hand. But then everything was perfectly calm. A search was then made for wires or strings, but nothing of the sort could be found. The bedclothes were put back and the light extinguished. For ten minutes silence reigned, only to be broken by more rapping which was followed by shouts from Randall.

He was told to hold on to the clothes, which were sliding off again. Later on more rapping occurred in a different part of the room, but it soon stopped, and the rest of the night passed away in peace. Randall and Sinnott went to their homes the next day, and Mr. Murphy spent from eleven till long past midnight in their vacated room, but heard and saw nothing unusual. The next case related by Professor Barrett occurred in County Fermanagh, at a spot eleven miles from Enniskillen and about two miles from the hamlet of Derrygonelly, where there dwelt a farmer and his family of four girls and a boy, of whom the eldest was a girl of about twenty years of age named Maggie.

His cottage consisted of three rooms, the kitchen, or dwelling-room, being in the centre, with a room on each side used as bedrooms. In one of these two rooms Maggie slept with her sisters, and it was here that the disturbances occurred, generally after they had all gone to bed, when rappings and scratchings were heard which often lasted all night. Rats were first blamed, but when things were moved by some unseen agent, and boots and candles thrown out of the house, it was seen that something more than the ordinary rat was at work.

The old farmer, who was a Methodist, sought advice from his class leader, and by his directions laid an open Bible on the bed in the haunted room, placing a big stone on the book. But the stone was lifted off by an unseen hand, the Bible moved out of the room, and seventeen pages torn out of it. Professor Barrett, at the invitation of Mr. Thomas Plunkett of Enniskillen, went to investigate. The rest of us sat round the kitchen fire, when faint raps, rapidly increasing in loudness, were heard coming apparently from the walls, the ceiling, and various parts of the inner room, the door of which was open.

On entering the bedroom with a light the noises at first ceased, but recommenced when I put the light on the window-sill in the kitchen. I had the boy and his father by my side, and asked Mr. Plunkett to look round the house outside. Standing in the doorway leading to the bedroom, the noises recommenced, the light was gradually brought nearer, and after much patience I was able to bring the light into the bedroom whilst the disturbances were still loudly going on.

At last I was able to go up to the side of the bed, with the lighted candle in my hand, and closely observed each of the occupants lying on the bed. The younger children were apparently asleep, and Maggie was motionless; nevertheless, knocks were going on everywhere around; on the chairs, the bedstead, the walls and ceiling. The closest scrutiny failed to detect any movement on the part of those present that could account for the noises, which were accompanied by a scratching or tearing sound.

Suddenly a large pebble fell in my presence on to the bed; no one had moved to dislodge it, even if it had been placed for the purpose. A couple of days afterwards, the Rev. Maxwell Close, M. Plunkett, and together the party of three paid visits on two consecutive nights to the haunted farm-house, and the noises were repeated. Complete search was made, both inside and outside of the house, but no cause could be found. We tried it, and it only knocked at L M N when we said the alphabet over. He repeated this four times with a different number each time, and with the same result. And since that night no further disturbance occurred.

Another similar story comes from the north of Ireland. In the year as recorded in the Larne Reporter of March 31 in that year , two families residing at Upper Ballygowan, near Larne, suffered a series of annoyances from having stones thrown into their houses both by night and by day. Their neighbours came in great numbers to sympathise with them in their affliction, and on one occasion, after a volley of stones had been poured into the house through the window, a young man who was present fired a musket in the direction of the mysterious assailants.

The reply was a loud peal of satanic laughter, followed by a volley of stones and turf. On another occasion a heap of potatoes, which was in an inner apartment of one of the houses, was seen to be in commotion, and shortly afterwards its contents were hurled into the kitchen, where the inmates of the house, with some of their neighbours, were assembled.

The explanation given by some people of this mysterious affair was as mysterious as the affair itself. It was said that many years before the occurrences which we have now related took place, the farmer who then occupied the premises in which they happened was greatly annoyed by mischievous tricks which were played upon him by a company of fairies who had a habit of holding their rendezvous in his house.

The consequence was that this man had to leave the house, which for a long time stood a roofless ruin. After the lapse of many years, and when the story about the dilapidated fabric having been haunted had probably been forgotten, the people who then occupied the adjoining lands unfortunately took some of the stones of the old deserted mansion to repair their own buildings. Wexford, lives a small farmer named M—, who by dint of thrift and industry has reared a large family decently and comfortably.

M—, through the death of a relative, fell in for a legacy of about a hundred pounds. As he was already in rather prosperous circumstances, and as his old thatched dwelling-house was not large enough to accommodate his increasing family, he resolved to spend the money in building a new one. He purchased some new furniture at the nearest town, and on a certain day he removed all the furniture which the old house contained into the new one; and in the evening the family found themselves installed in the latter for good, as they thought.

They all retired to rest at their usual hour; scarcely were they snugly settled in bed when they heard peculiar noises inside the house. As time passed the din became terrible—there was shuffling of feet, slamming of doors, pulling about of furniture, and so forth. The man of the house got up to explore, but could see nothing, neither was anything disturbed.

The door was securely locked as he had left it. After a thorough investigation, in which his wife assisted, he had to own he could find no clue to the cause of the disturbance. The couple went to bed again, and almost immediately the racket recommenced, and continued more or less till dawn. But the pandemonium experienced the first night of their occupation was as nothing compared with what they had to endure the second night and for several succeeding nights.

Sleep was impossible, and finally Mr. M— and family in terror abandoned their new home, and retook possession of their old one. The old house has been repaired and is tenanted. The new house, a few perches off, facing the public road, is used as a storehouse. The writer has seen it scores of times, and its story is well known all over the country-side.

M— is disinclined to discuss the matter or to answer questions; but it is said he made several subsequent attempts to occupy the house, but always failed to stand his ground when night came with its usual rowdy disturbances. M— and exhorted him to build on a different site; otherwise the consequences would be unpleasant for him and his; while the local peasantry allege that the house was built across a fairy pathway between two raths, and that this was the cause of the trouble. It is quite true that there are two large raths in the vicinity, and the haunted house is directly in a bee-line between them.

For myself I offer no explanation; but I guarantee the substantial accuracy of what I have stated above. He fixed on a certain spot, and began to build, very much against the advice of his friends, who said it was on a fairy path, and would bring him ill-luck. Soon the house was finished, and the owner moved in; but the very first night his troubles began, for some unseen hand threw the furniture about and broke it, while the man himself was injured.

Being unwilling to lose the value of his money, he tried to make the best of things. But night after night the disturbances continued, and life in the house was impossible; the owner chose the better part of valour and left. No tenant has been found since, and the house stands empty, a silent testimony to the power of the poltergeist. Poltergeistic phenomena from their very nature lend themselves to spurious reproduction and imitation, as witness the famous case of Cock Lane and many other similar stories. At least one well-known case occurred in Ireland, and is interesting as showing that where fraud is at work, close investigation will discover it.

It is related that an old Royal Irish Constabulary pensioner, who obtained a post as emergency man during the land troubles, and who in was in charge of an evicted farm in the Passage East district, was being continually disturbed by furniture and crockery being thrown about in a mysterious manner. The police therefore could find no explanation, the noises continued night after night, and eventually the family left and went to live in Waterford. A great furore was raised when it was learnt that the hauntings had followed them, and again investigation was made, but it seems to have been more careful this time: an eye was kept on the movements of the young son, and at least two independent witnesses saw him throwing things about—fireirons and jam-pots—when he thought his father was not looking.

Her efforts were successful, as the man soon resigned his position and went to live elsewhere. THAT houses are haunted and apparitions frequently seen therein are pretty well established facts. Some day, no doubt, psychologists and scientists will be able to give us a complete and satisfactory explanation of these abnormal apparitions, but at present we are very much in the dark, and any explanation that may be put forward is necessarily of a tentative nature.

The following story is sent us by Mr. I happened to be visiting my friends, two other bank men. At the time I saw it I thought it most peculiar that I could distinguish a figure so far away, and thought a light of some sort must be falling on the girl, or that there were some people about and that some of them had struck a match.

  1. Titletown’s Haunted Past: 6 Green Bay Ghost Stories;
  2. Plus-Fours And No Breakfast!.
  3. "Night Terrors".

When I got to the place I looked about, but could find no person there. They told the story to their landlady, and learned from her that this apparition had frequently been seen about the place, and was the spirit of one of her daughters who had died years previously rather young, and who, previous to her death, had gone about just as we described the figure we had seen. I had heard nothing of this story until after I had seen the ghost, and consequently it could not be put down to hallucination or over-imagination on my part.

It was a fine moonlight night, with a touch of frost in the air, when these two men set out to march the five miles to the next barrack. Brisk walking soon brought them near their destination. The barrack which they were approaching was on the left side of the road, and facing it on the other side was a white-thorn hedge.

The road at this point was wide, and as the two constables got within fifty yards of the barrack, they saw a policeman step out from this hedge and move across the road, looking towards the two men as he did so. He was plainly visible to them both. There was no sign of the strange policeman when they got in, and on inquiry they learnt that no new constable had joined the station.

Some years afterwards the narrator of the above story learnt that a policeman had been lost in a snow-drift near this particular barrack. Whether this be the explanation we leave to others: the facts as stated are well vouched for. When they found the door shut and bolted, their amazement was caused by indignation against an apparently unsociable or thoughtless comrade, and it was only afterwards, while discussing the whole thing on their homeward journey, that it occurred to them that it would have been impossible for any ordinary mortal to shut, bolt, and bar a door without making a sound.

In the winter of —1, in the days when snow and ice and all their attendant pleasures were more often in evidence than in these degenerate days, a skating party was enjoying itself on the pond in the grounds of the Castle near Rathfarnham, Co. Among the skaters was a man who had with him a very fine curly-coated retriever dog. The pond was thronged with people enjoying themselves, when suddenly the ice gave way beneath him, and the man fell into the water; the dog went to his rescue, and both were drowned.

The ghost of the dog is said to haunt the grounds and the public road between the castle gate and the Dodder Bridge. Many people have seen the phantom dog, and the story is well known locally. The ghost of a boy who was murdered by a Romany is said to haunt one of the lodge gates of the Castle demesne, and the lodge-keeper states that he saw it only a short time ago.

It is a fairly general belief amongst students of supernatural phenomena that animals have the psychic faculty developed to a greater extent than we have. There are numerous stories which tell of animals being scared and frightened by something that is invisible to a human being, and the explanation given is that the animal has seen a ghost which we cannot see. Kilkenny, supports this theory. Carlow district with a small wire-haired terrier dog. I felt a bit creepy and that something was wrong.

The dog kept on barking, but I could at first see nothing, but on looking closely for a few seconds I believe I saw a small grey-white object vanish gradually and noiselessly into the hedge. No sooner had it vanished than the dog ceased barking, wagged his tail, and seemed pleased with his successful efforts. The explanation locally current is that a suicide was buried at the cross-roads near at hand, or that it may be the ghost of a man who is known to have been killed at the spot.

The following story has been sent us by the Rev. Gillespie, to whom it was told by one of the witnesses of the incidents described therein. One bright moonlight night some time ago a party consisting of a man, his two daughters, and a friend were driving along a country road in County Leitrim. They came to a steep hill, and all except the driver got down to walk. One of the two sisters walked on in front, and after her came the other two, followed closely by the trap.

They had not gone far, when those in rear saw a shabbily-dressed man walking beside the girl who was leading. But she did not seem to be taking any notice of him, and, wondering what he could be, they hastened to overtake her. But just when they were catching her up the figure suddenly dashed into the shadow of a disused forge, which stood by the side of the road, and as it did so the horse, which up to this had been perfectly quiet, reared up and became unmanageable.

The girl beside whom the figure had walked had seen and heard nothing. The road was not bordered by trees or a high hedge, so that it could not have been some trick of the moonlight. It is sent to us by the percipient, a lady, who does not desire to have her name mentioned. She was walking along a country road in the vicinity of Cork one afternoon, and passed various people. She then saw coming towards her a country-woman dressed in an old-fashioned style.

This figure approached her, and when it drew near, suddenly staggered, as if under the influence of drink, and disappeared! She hastened to the spot, but searched in vain for any clue to the mystery; the road was bounded by high walls, and there was no gateway or gap through which the figure might slip.

Much mystified, she continued on her way, and arrived at her destination. Each time Freiss asked the spirit a question, the mini-flashlight flickered and then turned on by itself. He was overcome by a feeling of weakness and a pain in his head. It was just such a strange feeling. Later that night, Freiss found out from a historian of the museum that the skull and bones of a 5 year old Indian boy had been dug up and moved around by construction workers who excavated the dirt from the museums basement some time ago.

The bones were then gathered, placed in a box and reburied on the grounds of the museum. Freiss uncovers the haunting of at least 20 familiar Green Bay locations in his book, Haunted Green Bay. Some of these haunted places are probably very familiar and may even surprise you! During a tour, Freiss brings you to six locations that seem to attract the spirits of the dead throughout downtown Green Bay.

He enlightens you with the history of the haunting every step of the way. Long before streets and buildings were built, the area was home to La Baye cemetery. Because of money hungry fur traders from New York, the cemetery was desecrated in so the Green Bay Water Works pumping station could be built in its place.

Fifteen graves were found while digging the trenches and the others were washed away into the Fox River. Freiss believes the cemetery is the reason why so many older Green Bay buildings are haunted — from Washington street to Adams street and Crooks to Chicago street downtown. One of several haunted stops on Washington Street is St.

Employees have said the elevators run up and down between floors and the doors open and close by themselves. The laundry room is also where the paranormal action takes place. Another stop on the Ghost tour is Ashwaubenon Bowling Alley. Having bowled at Ashwaubenon Lanes multiple times, I was quite surprised to learn it has a pimped out basement. The Mahogany room is designed with decor from a Brothel. And the main dining room has a bar that is more than a years old. He causes the scoring computer and ball return not to work, and people report feeling a presence on that lane.

A man by the name of Elisha Morrow built the house in for his wife and six daughters. He was an early organizer of the Republican Party of Wisconsin and one of the delegates who got Abraham Lincoln nominated as the Republican candidate for president in The owners then claimed they saw a woman standing at the top of the stairs and they felt a negative presence. The thought is that Helen was unhappy with how they remodeled her home and still regretted having to sell it. While the brothers spent time restoring the home, they stayed there overnight. Most likely because she was happy with what they had done to her old home.

Once in a while a book will fly off the shelf or a wine glass will come flying out of the dishwasher. It was one of the last 19th century modern style theaters in the nation. Legend has it there was a double murder and suicide in the first year it was open, which may be the reason it is haunted today. As the story goes, the leading local actress, who was married at the time, fell in love with the married leading actor while rehearsing for the first play ever performed in the theater.

Halfway down the balcony steps, the husband took his own life as well. People have seen shadow figures jumping from the balcony, running and then disappearing. Then another shadow figure disappears halfway down the balcony stairs. This Walnut Street building is currently for sale. One can only wonder if its vacancy has anything to do with the ghosts that live there! Julius Bellin was born in and died a somewhat early death from a variety of diseases at the age of He started his first hospital in , and also founded the Wisconsin Deaconess Hospital which was renamed Bellin Memorial Hospital in his honor in The building was known as the first small skyscraper north of Milwaukee in its time.

‘AHS: Apocalypse’ – The Biggest Questions That Need to Be Answered in the Finale

It was often rented and used by physicians, dentists and other medical professionals. Freiss says the Bellin Building is haunted by Dr. Bellin himself. Although he likes to run the manual elevator one of 4 left in the U. He was one of several young men who were part of the resident program offered back then. This was a program that helped guys get back on their feet. The rent was adjusted according to what their job paid.

The Strangers (2008)

Rumor has it Erik was not very well-liked by other residents. He mostly kept to himself and was living there for a good month without finding a job. The rule was, you had to get a job within the first two weeks of living there.

  • The Haunting of Shirley Jackson!
  • No customer reviews!
  • Night of the Double Moon - A Real Ghost Story (Paperback or Softback).
  • On Friday August 7th two fellow residents, Charles Conrad age 25 and his friend Thomas Mason age 22 got back to the Y after a hard night of drinking. Influenced by alcohol, he let him have it and told him exactly what he thought of him. The next morning, guilty over his words, Conrad tried to find Erik to apologize. Unfortunately, he was unable to find him anywhere that day. That night Conrad and his buddy Mason decided to hit the town again. This time when they arrived back to the fifth floor just before midnight, Erik was waiting for them unwilling to listen to any apologies.

    Instead, he whipped out a hand gun and shot Conrad in the heart killing him instantly. He then shot Mason in the stomach. He died two hours later at St. Vincent Hospital. The residents program ended shortly after, and today the fifth floor is no longer used by the YMCA. Freiss has other big plans in addition to his Ghost Tours! He hopes to get his White Witch Paranormal Museum open sometime in the next couple of years. The museum will be filled with several haunted items. Things like an antique picture of Ann Marie who you can hear playing and giggling, and a haunted dresser that has drawers that open and close by themselves. admin